I am also reading the book Live 10 by Terry Smith. Our church family, Waypoint Church, is reading this book together. In the first chapter of that book Smith talks about people who want to live relatively quiet and simple lives. They really don't want to put themselves out there. They don't want to add any stress to their lives by dreaming big, setting goals and being accountable to see them achieved. I fear becoming that person. I find myself wanting to play it safe and coast along more than I care to admit.
Mark Batterson is living a very impactful life. He shared his goal list in the book and he listed 115 goals. Now these are no sissy goals either!!! He has set a goal to write 25 books, go sky diving, cliff diving, take his wife to the Oscars, go on an African Safari (I have done that!!!), go kayaking in Alaska, make a movie, build an orphanage in Ethiopia, and give away 10 million dollars, just to name a few. This is a guy who plans to have major impact. He is planning to live ten.
So here is what he had to say about goals:
1. Start with Prayer- if you set goals in the context of prayer, there is a much higher likelihood that your goals will glorify God. (He recommended a personal retreat or season of fasting to facilitate this).
2. Check your Motives-take an honest look to be sure you are going after your goals for the right reason and not for self satisfaction or self promotion.
3. Think Categories- he has set goals in 5 categories: family, influence, experiential, physical, and travel.
4. Be Specific- He shared a quote from J.C. Penney. "Give me a stock clerk with a goal, and I will give you a man who will make history. Give me a man without a goal , and I will give you a stock clerk."
5. Write it Down- If you haven't written your goals, you haven't really set them.
6. Include Others- When you go after a goal with another person, it doubles your joy. Nothing cements a relationship like a shared goal.
7. Celebrate along the Way- Setting goals is the way you turn imaginations into memories, and once you do, you need to celebrate them.
8. Dream Big- Big goals turn us into big people.
9. Think Long-If you want to dream until the day you die, you need to set goals that take a lifetime to achieve.
10. Pray Hard- goal setting begins and ends with prayer. God-ordained goals are conceived in the context of prayer, and prayer is what brings them to full term.
So there you have it. Now you have to decide if you will step out and risk setting some goals for your life. I remember a quote something like this... "If you fail to plan, then plan to fail."
Dang, I want to live 10, dream big and live my life leaning forward. Another quote I love is from Michael Hyatt, it goes something like this:
"The difference between those who have impact, and those who do not, are that those
who have impact are willing to go scared".
You see it takes guts and courage to live life to the fullest. Let do it together!!